Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Newsworthy?

This morning I got up to several inches of the white fluffy stuff and sighed.  It's so pretty but man is it a bear when you live in the hills.  So, I'll strap on my boots and head into the wild blue in a borrowed four wheel drive to get off the dirt road I am honestly so grateful to live on.  It's a fair trade for the hiking trails just out my front door.

So, I grab some fruit and cottage cheese for breakfast and proceed to check the headlines on MSN.  I don't do much TV so checking in on MSN once daily is how I stay "connected".  I am munching away pondering whatever happened to putting baby food in glass jars and worrying about the possible effects of BPA on our littlest as I am considering when to take my plastics to the recycler in town when the headlines load.  "Quake in New Zealand Kills Dozens" followed by "107 Whales dead on New Zealand Coast".  Munching over.

Image: Two women comfort each other in front of a collapsed building following an earthquake in central Christchurch, New Zealand (© John Kirk-Anderson, Christchurch Press/Reuters)



 Here's what killed me though, the next flash what about Justin freaking Beiber cutting his hair followed by possibly the most horrible looking woman I have ever seen looking like she was going to vaccuum someone into her gaping mouth as she screamed at them- she's some sort of housewives nonsense.  Then, I'm pissed.   I'm actually pissed- REALLY???????  Earth mother is screaming for mercy and we're worried about the locks of some kid who still has peach fuzz???????  Whales are washed up on the beach dead and we care more about some celebrity wedding or a cat with a camera strapped to it's collar.  My God, it's here folks and we're missing it because we only hear what we want to here- it's the true dumbing down of our planet.

I did watch a movie this weekend called 2012-  I do movies sometimes and this one scared me.  It's about December NEXT YEAR when the world ends as we know it.  Talk about Synchronicity- here's the scariest one of all.  Saturday night I read a science report about the tectonic  plates shifting and the gradual movement of what we call home.  2012 is about the sudden heat up of the earth's core and an accelerated plate shift and I happened to catch it Sunday.  It also shows how only the policticians, genetically "optimum" and the super rich get a spot on the arcs that are being built.  Sound familiar- sound like us?  When that movie was over I was shaking and literally sobbing- yes I know it's fiction but I also know it's here.  Maybe not in 2012 but what else do we need?  Hurricane Katrina, Earthquake in Haiti, Extreme flooding and Typhoons in Australia, Tsunami, now even here at home the Skline Drive was on fire this week- that has never happened and it broke my heart.  The Prime Minister of New Zealand said it might be their darkest day...we are going to find out all too soon exactly what that means.

Please, let's do what we can to save ourselves before Earth mother spits us off and heals herself without us.  Even if it's just recycling your plastics, picking up garbage on your walking trails or if you can, buying a car with better emissions.  It's here folks and it's up to us to make a difference.  I'm heading to Waste Management Thursday to see if they will start a more focused recycling program here...what can you do?

Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment